A full week later, and I’m still salty about Pokemon. In fact, I think I’m feeling even saltier.
I guess I’ll just go back to playing RDR2 while keeping an eye on black friday sales, mostly since my current set up doesn’t let me run the game on ultra. I know the 2080 Ti won’t drop in price, but I’m crossing my fingers and hoping it does.
The TL rant(s) that I mentioned last month are now a WIP. I’ve constructed a list of things I want to tackle and left it below. Feel free to suggest additional topics in the case that you want to see something specific covered.
- The Goal of Translation
- Aka: Novels should not sound like they’ve been translated
- Novel Translation vs Document Translation
- Pitfall: Literal Translation
- Pitfall: Honorifics Are Meaningless
- The Do’s and Don’ts of Localization
- Conveying Intent and Nuance
- Portrayal of Tropes
- Invalid Stylistic Choices
- Includes commentary on writing styles
- Includes case study on “So I’m a Spider, So What?” (Probably a separate article.)
- Case Study on some of JNC’s titles. (Many of these are extremely well done, but some others, not so much. This mini-series would likely dive into both.)
- Case Study on Overlord (Yen Press Version)
- Ideal Workflow and Pipeline
Is it just me, or is this is starting to sound more like a textbook than a series of rants? In that case, the case studies may work better as something within a relevant chapter. Hmm…