Recipe from yesterday for those who asked.
- Make dashi, cool it until it’s room temperature
- Submerge dried shiitake mushrooms in water until thoroughly remoisturized, then remove the stem and chop into thin slices
- Soak Japanese rice in water for about an hour, then drain any excess water with a sieve or something
- Chop carrots, chicken, and pastrami into thin slices
- Mince bamboo shoots
- Add dashi to rice, have water levels reach just under the amount you would normally use to cook the same amount of rice
- Add soy sauce and mirin to taste (normally about 1 tablespoon per cup of rice)
- Place chicken on top of rice and other ingredients on top of chicken.
- Hit mixed rice on the rice cooker. If you don’t have this option, cook it as usual and then let it sit for a few extra minutes.
- Once rice is done, mix well.
- Dice up some green onions and sprinkle them on top.
Note that you should not under any conditions mix the rice and the ingredients before the rice is fully cooked, and that it’s normal for there to be a tiny bit of burnt rice along the bottom when you cook this way.
Hopefully that was detailed enough.